Add and edit variants for experiences
Variants are all the pricing options within an experience sold – they’re the items your customers will be purchasing at checkout, such as a festival ticket or a suite in a resort. Experiences need at least one variant in order for customers to make a booking.
There is no limit to the number of variants you can create.
How to set up variants for experiences
- Select an experience, click Edit and go to the Variants tab.
- There are two types of variants to choose from:
- Per Person Variant – As the name suggests, this can be used for anything you sell on a per person basis, such as an entry ticket that admits one person to your experience.
- Per Unit Variant – This allows you to set a per person pricing and a maximum occupancy. This is great for options that accommodates more than one person, such as a group ticket or a double room that can be booked by either two guests coming together or a single person. Per unit pricing also allows you to capture guest info for each person.
- For each variant, input:
- Title – Give your variant a memorable, meaningful title.
- Price – On a per person pricing or per unit pricing, depending on selected variant type
- Tagline – Provide a short description on how the variant is unique from other options.
- Initial Stock – Set the total number of stock available so you don’t sell more than you have. Once the stock number is reached, the variant will be automatically marked as sold out and customers will no longer be able to purchase it.
- Check-in and Allocation – Capture extra information about your customer.
- Click Save to publish your changes.
Tip: To offer extra options on top of your variants, consider setting up modifiers.
Set up price tiers for per unit variants
If you’re creating a Per Unit Variant, you can set up price tiers to adjust the per person pricing depending on the number of people purchasing within a single unit.
For example, a group ticket with a total occupancy of 3 may have a per person price of $10. Using price tiers, you can set the per person price to $12 if only 2 people are purchasing and $15 if only 1 person is purchasing.
To set up price tiers:
- Under the Variants tab of an experience, locate the per unit variant you'd like to add price tiers for or add a new per unit variant.
- For Occupancy, add the maximum number of people that the variant can accommodate. For example, a boat trip that accommodates up to 5 people will have an occupancy of 5.
- Next, enter the master price under Price per person. This is the total price of the variant divided by the occupancy. For example, if the boat trip costs $100 in total, the master per person pricing is $20.
- Click the settings icon on the variant and select Add Price Tier.
- Using the dropdown menu, select the Occupancy for the price tier and then enter the corresponding price per person under Price. For example, if you want to adjust the price per person to $25 if only 3 or fewer people book the boat trip, set the occupancy at 3 and the price as $25.
- Repeat step 5 for each price tier.
- Click Save to publish changes.
Note: Price tiers can also be used to ensure that the total price of a unit remains the same no matter how many people are purchasing. Below is an example of using price tiers to keep a variant's total price at $120 no matter if 5 or 1 person books it.
|Occupancy||Price Per Person||Total Price|
|5 (total)||$24 (master price)||$120|
How to set up segments for variants
You can group variants using Segments. This allows you to categorise variants by theme and help make navigation at checkout much easier for customers. For example, if you have a 3-day festival, you can create a separate segment for each day. Segments are currently only available for experiences.
To set up segments:
- Under the Variants tab, click on Create Segment.
- Give your new segment a name – this will appear on the checkout page.
- Drag and drop variants into the new segment.
- Click Save to publish your changes.